THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Side notes

My mom and I were watching Dr. Phil and Oprah shows that she had recorded discussing the big "M" word, menopause. And they began talking about how you need not be in menopause to be experiencing hormone deficiency's. There are women who can even experience them in their 20's. That shocked me.

They began listing symptoms for those who have too much/too little estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone.

When you have too much estrogen (estrogen dominant) you experience:
*Weight gain (often unexplained) - me
*Abnormal periods - me
*Depression
*Mood Swings - me
*Beast Tenderness - me

When you have too little (estrogen deficient):
*Hot Flashes
*Insomnia
*Body Aches
*Lower Sex Drive
*Vaginal Dryness

High Testosterone:
*Acne
*[Unwanted] Hair Growth

Low Testosterone:

Muscle Loss - me
Increased Fat - me
Depression
Lower Sex Drive

High Progesterone:
*Sleepy & Dizzy
*Depression
*Weight Gain - me
*Increased Appetite

Low Progesterone:

*Irregular Periods - me
*Mood Swings - me
*Increased PMS


I was checking the lists as they appeared on the TV, which has lead me to believe that I have hormone deficiencies. But what?!? I am only 19...!?!?!
Let me explain my thought process.

I am 19 years old. I have 180 pounds I need to lose to be at my ideal weight. I have had my blood tested, my thyroid was claimed to be working at its normal levels. I am eating healthier than ever before, and eating less. I am working out rigorously 3-6 times a week, hours at a time. Still I don't feel like I am losing as much as I should be, especially when I look at my friend, who is losing more than I am and faster than I am, when I have more weight to lose.
I don't sleep as well as a 19 year old should. I get tired in weird random moments of the day and sleep for long intervals.
And this is what I think is the worst part. In high school I had more energy, more determination, more motivation, this was a little over a year ago!! What happened?!?!?
I still have all the same old goals and dreams, inspirations, aspirations, nothing has changed, but its like having something in front of you, a glass half full, but its intangible. I have had depression before, this doe not feel like depression, I have nothing to be depressed about. I sort of feel alienated from my own body. I know my passion, my fire, should be there, is there, its just not burning brightly enough for me to find it. I don't know how I lost contact. I have all the reason to be as passionate if not more about life. Where is that zest I had? That extra special "sparkle"? My light?
I am 19, I should have an easier time losing weight than those older than I? I train, I should be losing like I did before. Why is it so difficult for me to keep going? It seems like an out of body experience for me.

Well I plan on continuing research in this area and will return shortly to discuss this area of my life soon.

These are links for my research:
http://drphil.com/shows/show/1263/

http://drphil.com/articles/article/119

http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/health/wellnessandprevention/slideshow1_ss_soh_200803

http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprahshow/20090128_tows_suzannesomers

0 comments: